Best Trolling Motor for Kayaks
Kayak trolling motors are the legitimate deal and many brands are addressing that demand by manufacturing trolling motors specifically designed for usage on kayaks.
Investing in the best trolling motors for kayaks will get you out of the tiresome process of paddling while fishing. It can convert your kayak into a super cool fishing machine.
Picking the best trolling motors will take some expertise. With so many choices in the market, we thought of narrowing down the top trolling motor for kayaks. We have also created a detailed comparison chart that will help you identify the best one and clearly understand the differences between the motors.
- Top Trolling Motors for Kayaks
- 1. Best Overall - Newport Vessels NV-Series Trolling Motor
- 2. Best Motor - Cloud Mountain Finefind 36LBS Thrust Electric Trolling Motor
- 3. Best Noiseless - G Trolling
- 4. Best Lightweight - Minn Kota Endura Transom Mount Trolling Motor
- 5. Best Electric - Watersnake Venom Electric Trolling Motor
- Final Words on Choosing the Best Trolling Motor for Kayaks
Top Trolling Motors for Kayaks
1. Best Overall - Newport Vessels NV-Series Trolling Motor
The Newport Vessels NV-Series Trolling Motor is a great choice if you plan to go on long fishing trips. It comes with a 12v electric trolling motor that offers excellent power without any overheating issues. This trolling motor is built with high-quality material such as stainless steel, magnesium, and zinc hardware which makes it easy to withstand both the salt and fresh water environment.
The NV also comes with a long-lasting power balance which allows you to make the most of your full battery charge. Newport also offers one of the best effective customer services in the industry.
- 5 LED battery meter to show battery performance
- Different speed controls - 8 speeds (5 forward and 3 reverse)
- Adjustable 30" fiberglass composite shaft
- Multi-purpose trolling motor (inflatable boats, dinghies, tenders, fishing boats, aluminum fishing boats, and inflatables)
- Little to no noise level
- Easy to install
- Good battery life
Rusting issues in saltwater
2. Best Motor - Cloud Mountain Finefind 36LBS Thrust Electric Trolling Motor
The Cloud Mountain trolling motor is considered one of the strong and reliable trolling motors for kayaks. It has a quality reinforced nylon bracket that provides high strength, ablation resistance, and dimension stability.
The motor is made of stainless steel hardware, reinforced nylon, composite fiberglass, and durable aluminum head which makes it one of the excellent choices for both saltwater and freshwater areas. It also comes with a cool LED battery indicator that gives you information about how much power is consumed.
- 10-Point LED battery indicator
- 28-inch fiberglass for tensile strength and corrosion resistance
- Different thrust settings - 36, 40, 46, 50, 55, 60, 86(lbs)
- Telescoping adjustable handle that provides complete control over the ride
- Quality motor
- Excellent performance
- Rusting issues of the essential hardware
3. Best Noiseless - G Trolling
Goplus is considered a reliable brand when it comes to trolling motors. The motors used by this company are heavy duty and the construction is up to par. And when it comes to power, speed, and efficiency, this electric trolling motor has it all.
Plus, it comes with an adjustable moto and prop depth which ensures you will have proper working depth. This way, you can avoid vegetation and other obstacles that you may experience. Even though this can be used in both freshwater and saltwater, you can leave it on the freshwater to avoid corrosion.
- 3-blade propeller that offers smooth movement
- Telescoping adjustable handle that can be adjusted to suit various needs
- Adjustable shaft angle, propeller depth, and boat angle
- 10 points LED lights to view the battery meter
- Good battery life with indicators
- Sturdy and durable motor
- Smooth movement
- Thrust may not be durable
4. Best Lightweight - Minn Kota Endura Transom Mount Trolling Motor
Minn Kota Endura Transom Mount Trolling Motor is a new and improved version of the previous Endura. This is built for freshwater usage and comes with a five-speed motor, a level lock bracket, a telescoping handle, and a strong composite shaft.
The enhanced bearing system of this trolling motor makes the system noise-free. Also, the lock for the steering, depth control, tilt shaft, and speed control is excellent for this price range. Further, the company boasts an indestructible composite shaft and gives a lifetime guarantee for it.
- 6-inch telescoping handle for easy steering
- Lever lock bracket gives a firm mount
- Tilt twist tiller gives great grip
- 5 forward/3 reverse speed gives the required power and conserves battery
- Long-lasting and durable
- Bracket is resistant to UV damage and flexing
- Strong lock bracket
- Reverse speed may not be good
- Wire of the battery connector could have been long
5. Best Electric - Watersnake Venom Electric Trolling Motor
The Watersnake Venom Swet electric motor comes with many attractive features such as a compact bow mount, a good amount of electric power, and a high-quality blade that grids weeds and other types of vegetation found underwater.
This electric motor is user-friendly and easy to set up. It also has a telescopic tiller control through which you can rotate the head in the direction you want. The sturdy construction (stainless steel corrosion-resistant) of the motor can withstand the challenges of both freshwater and saltwater.
- Digital voltage meter to keep track of battery
- Motor is powered with 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds
- 3-axle that maximizes range movement
- Unique transom mount for good grip
- Quiet and lightweight
- Easy to pul in shallow water
- Good forward and reverse speeds
- Motor might be big for some
5 forward and 3 reverse
5-sp forward & 3-sp reverse
Some amount of noise
5-sp forward & 3-sp reverse
5 forwad/3 reverse
5 forward and 3 reverse speeds
Some amount of noise
Final Words on Choosing the Best Trolling Motor for Kayaks
The search for the best trolling motor for kayaks is not easy.
A simple equation to find a good trolling motor for kayaks is by checking the performance and reliability of the motor. Next, you need to pick a size that will fit according to your needs and calculate how far you plan to travel. Finally, match the size of the motor with the size of your Kayak and you’ll have a winner.
Although each of the above trolling motors for kayaks would make the best choice for your fishing trip, one motor stands out from the rest.
The Newport Vessels NV-Series is our best overall choice as this trolling motor comes with a wide range of impressive features, a good warranty period for the motor, and is relatively affordable when compared to the others on the list.
We hope that our list will help you pick the right trolling motor according to your requirement.