Best kayak for dogs on 2023
You need to invest in the best dog-friendly kayak if you want to explore the waters with your furry friend. Buying the best kayak for dogs will make your time on the waters easy and more comfortable.
Production of kayaks is also on the rise as more and more people are taking their dogs on kayaking trips. This has led to an increase in more stable different types of kayaks and comfortable dog-friendly kayaks in the market. As a result, this makes the entire equation of choosing a kayak for dogs even more complex.
To make things easy for you, we have compiled a list of the best kayaks for dogs. We have also listed the pros, cons, and prepared a detailed comparison chart that will assist you in making the right decision. Understanding the history of kayaking will help you to draw an outline on the evolution of kayaking and how dogs were incorporated into the kayaking trip.
- The Best Pawsome Kayaks
- Kayaking With Dogs Expert Tips
The Best Pawsome Kayaks
1. Sevylor Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak
Easy to inflate, comfortable, and durable, the Sevylor Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak is a great choice kayak for one person and dog. It has an 18-gauge PVC, tarpaulin bottom, and a tough nylon cover that provides superior protection.
This fishing kayak has two adjustable seats that will provide good comfort for you and your dog. You also have the option to move the seats closer and further from your pet. If your hands get tired by paddling, you can place the paddles in the holder and add the Sevylor trolling motor (need to purchase separately).
- Good maneuverability
- Strong and durable
- Customer service issues
Our Top Priority : best tandem kayaks
2. Sea Eagle Sport Kayaks
The Sea Eagle Sport Kayak is spacy, comfortable, durable, and one of the good-rated kayaks for dogs in the market. It can easily hold 2-persons (1 person or 1 dog), and even 3 can fit in. The best braided fishing line can be chosen to make your catching experience extra fun.
It is made of strong materials such as K80 PVC, asymmetrical blade, and aluminum shaft to make the kayak more stable and durable. The 5-tube i-beam gives good stability to the rider. Plus, it can be used by adults of any age and experience level.
- Easy to inflate
- Good legroom
- Easy to transport
- May be difficult to control
3. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
If you are searching for a kayak with a good amount of space and comfort, then the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak will not disappoint you. This kayak is great for experiencing mild rivers and lakes with 2 adults or 1 adult and a dog. The kayak is made of heavy-duty puncture-resistant vinyl that can easily withstand your dog’s claws.
Inflation and deflation are quite good making it the best inflatable kayak for dogs and will give you plenty of time to reach safety if any one of the chambers has a leak. You will get good directional stability with adjustable seating and backrest. Also, the bright yellow color of the kayak will help you be seen in case of an emergency.
- Easy to inflate
- Good legroom
- Durable material
- Sinkable issues
Our Top Priority : best budget sit on top kayak
4. 10 ft. Lifetime Manta Tandem Kayak
Another stable and reliable kayak on our list is the 10 ft. Lifetime Manta Tandem Kayak. The tunnel hull design of this kayak gives good stability and has the capability to hold one person and a medium-sized dog and is also one of the best kayak for beginners with dogs.
The kayak is made of linear low-density polyethylene and two padded backrests. You can also add a motor mount provision (sold separately) where you can add an electric trolling motor. The attraction is the hull design which makes it one of the best watercraft for kayaking with a dog.
- Good for beginners
- Extremely stable
- Great balance
- Low legroom
5. Old Town Vapor 12 Angler Recreational Kayak
The Old Town Vapor 12 Angler provides a good capacity of room to bring your dog with you. It has a roomy tank where you can store your gear. The adjustable flex pad of the vessel provides a good amount of stability and comfort. It also has a thigh pad and a support track that gives an extra layer of comfort for the padding.
It also has an enclosed cockpit which makes it an ideal choice while padding in colder weather conditions and will keep your dog safe and dry.
- Covered cockpit to shelter small dogs
- Good storage space
- Good features for the price range
- Not suitable for big dogs
6. Sun Dolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak
If you are a beginner who wants to take your pet on a kayaking trip, the Sun Dolphin Journey is an affordable kayak for dogs and an easy-to-use option. It has a spacious and comfortable sitting area with an adjustable foot brace and paddle holder.
This kayak uses high-density UV-protected polyethylene which makes it more durable and sturdy. It also comes with a portable accessible carrier (PAC) which provides a good amount of storage space. The space provision also makes it the best kayak for big dogs.
- Good stability
- Great paddling
- Tracking issues
Our Top Priority : best braided fishing line
7. Perception Hi Life 11 | Sit on Top Kayak
Perception Hi Life is a quality, highly stable, and comfortable best sit-on-top kayak for dogs. It can fit one person and a pet without any problem, making it yet another great watercraft for kayaking with a dog.
The hull uses a polyethylene material which gives extra durability. It also has a rear swim deck with handles to easily get back on board after swimming. The seat comes in two positions (upright and recline) for easy adjustment. Plus, it has an attractive drink holder to place your favorite beverage. All these ancillary features with high quality also make it the best budget sit-on-top kayak.
- Comfortable seat
- Good stability
- Convenience to sit and stand
- Customer service issues
Kayaking With Dogs Expert Tips
Kayaking is one of the best adventurous sports that can be done with your pet companion. Friends Animal Society encourages you to take your pets for adventure with dogs. In between the hustle and bustle of life, taking your pet dog along with you for kayaking will be the finest break. It will also give the paw buddy a break from the city honks and kid's clamor. Kayaking with dogs can make absolute memories if done with complete safety and expert assistance. Kayaking with dogs can be made extra fun as our experts have jotted down all the things vital to guide your kayaking trip with your four-legged friends.
- Not all kayaks are suitable for taking your pets along with you. Ensure that the kayak you are choosing for your kayaking expedition with your pet pal is comfortable and spacious enough to accommodate them. Also, make sure that you are aware of the transporting ideas of kayaks.
- Allot separate sessions in small water bodies to train your dog, so that they are comfortable on longer expeditions. This will also act as a learning experience for the dog to find the right space and positions. Pedal kayaks can be used to train your pet dogs.
- Essential gear such as lifejackets and first aid supplies are vital for your dogs. There are separate life jackets available for the dogs in the market. You can invest in them and keep your pet safe at all times.
- Train your dogs for essential comments such as stay, sit, and lie. These comments are vital for the dogs to stay inside the kayak at all times during your adventure. This will also help you in times of any mishappenings.
- Take land breaks frequently in the initial stages. This will give a breathing space for the dogs to adapt to the environment.
- Check the weather conditions before you start your kayaking trip. Do not opt for rainy and sunny days as it will cause discomfort for the dogs. This might irritate the dogs leading to adverse conditions.
- Take plenty of food and water while on a kayaking trip. Dogs usually feel thirsty frequently. Ensure to take their regular feeding bowls, so that they consume the food and water whenever served. It is highly recommended to not serve unusual and new foods to your pets before and during the trip. This might disturb the bowel movements, thus causing a sense of discomfort to the pet.
- There are higher chances of skin infection in saltwater and due to exposure to the sun. Serious causes of the infection can be prevented by washing your dog with their regular soaps and shampoo immediately after you return back home from the kayaking trip.
Kayaking with dogs can be the best adventure experience for you and your pet. But, it is equally important to give the space and time for your dogs to get adapted to the environment. Taking short trips in the initial stages is highly recommended post which you can extend the hours and distance of the kayaking trip. Taking these expert tips into consideration will escalate the overall experience along with providing safety to your pet dogs.
Here are our top picks from the list.
- Most affordable kayak for dogs - Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
- Total beginner at kayaking with a pet - Lifetime Manta Tandem
- Best overall kayak for dogs - Sevylor Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak
Kayaking with dogs is becoming more popular as there are plenty of models available in the market which makes things more safe and comfortable. A pricing guide will pave the way for you to choose the best variant. Here are some of the points you need to keep in mind when you go kayaking with your dog.
- Choose a kayak big enough that your dog can move around comfortably. Best tandem kayaks are one of the supreme selections for your adventurous trips when sailing without your paw friend.
- Kayak must have extra storage for dog gear and food
- Weight capacity must be good enough to hold the weight of you and your dog
- Select one based on your dog’s size, temperament, and breed (Sit-in, sit-on-top, tandem, or single). Avoid buying a sea and whitewater kayak as they are not dog-friendly
- Use the leash only on dry land
- Don’t forget to buy a life vest for your dog, carry sunscreen, enough water, and food. Never tie your dog to the kayak. Make sure to stick to calm waters and prepare your dog before the trip. If your dog is disobedient, it is not safe to take them on the trip
- In case your dog has any medical conditions, talk to your veterinarian before you take them on the trip. You can even go the extra mile to get a pet insurance
To summarize, go through the features of the kayaks and keep the above points in mind before you make an investment. We hope that our blog will help you find the perfect kayak for you and your dog.