Best Budget Paddles for Beginners
Beginner kayakers are often eager to find the perfect kayak, but they may overlook other important pieces of equipment. Paddles are just as important as the kayak, so take the time to find a design that works for you. Some paddles are designed for specific purposes, and some are better suited to different types of kayaking. Investing in the best kayak paddles for beginners will teach you the fundamentals of controlling and steering your kayak, allowing you to feel confident when you head out on the water.
Below, we have listed the 7 best kayak paddles of 2022 and outlined the features that kayak paddles must have in order to keep you afloat. There’s also a comparison table, FAQ section, and a buying guide that will help you make the right decision.
- Reviews of the Best Kayak Paddles For Beginners in 2022
- 1. Bending Branches Angler Classic Fishing Kayak Paddle
- 2. Poseidon Kayak Paddle
- 3. OCEANBROAD Kayak Paddle
- 4. SeaSense X-TREME 2 Kayak Paddle
- 5. Pelican Poseidon Angler Fishing Kayak Paddle
- 6. WONITAGO Kayak Paddles
- 7. Carlisle Magic Mystic Kayak Paddle
- Comparison Table For Best Kayak Paddles For Fishing
- Things To Be Considered Before Buying The Best Kayak Paddles For Beginners
- Frequently Asked Questions
Reviews of the Best Kayak Paddles For Beginners in 2022
If you’re looking for the best kayak paddles of 2022, then this Bending Branches Angler is a great choice. The fiberglass construction makes it resistant to falls and is strong enough to help you pull in a large catch. This paddle is extremely lightweight and strong, with a two-piece T-700 carbon shaft and carbon-reinforced nylon blades.
The oversized blades are designed for efficiency and power. This best budget paddles allow you to smoothly pull through the water while maintaining a flutter-free stroke. Paddles for kayaks break down into two pieces for compact storage and easy travel. The tough fiberglass-reinforced blades provide the ideal weight-to-variability ratio, resulting in smooth paddling with less fatigue, even when carrying a heavy load. Grips are ovalized for a better fit in your hand, and the shaft is coated for your comfort.
One blade has a handy hook-retrieval notch so you can save your line and lure if you make a bad cast. With the hook retrieval system built right into the blade, you can get rid of those pesky hooks once and for all. Overall, the Angler Classic is one of the best kayak paddles for 2022, for those on a tight budget.
- Paddle's 3-hole snap-button ferrule allows the blades to be feathered (offset) at a 60-degree angle
- Built-in fish hook retriever allows you to free a snagged hook without having to loose your tackle
Available colors: Green & orange
Warranty: Contact customer support
- Ergonomic construction
- Convenient hook
- Comfortable grips
- Easy to use
- Blades are limited for performance strokes
Poseidon Kayak Paddle is one of the lightweight and adjustable paddles for beginners. Fiberglass reinforcement of plastic blades can improve performance and durability. This best kayak paddle for fishing is more impact resistant, which is useful when paddling around rocks.
The kayak paddle is easy to store and transport because it has an anti-slip grip area and a push-button system. It is ideal for more serious recreational paddlers as well as entry-level touring paddles. If you want to go kayaking for fun, then this best budget kayak paddle is for you!
- Paddling with offset blades lowers the wind resistance of your upper blade as it moves through the air
- Grip the paddle firmly on both hands, preventing fatigue and resulting in a more enjoyable experience
- 0-65 degree angle adjustment options and ovalized shaft, sleeve, and drip rings are all included
- Drip rings are installed at each end of the paddle kayak
Available colors: Black, blue, blue/white/red, orange/black & yellow/green
Warranty: 1 year limited warranty
- Adjustable paddles
- Ideal for recreational paddlers
- Drip rings
- Ovalized shafts
- Uncomfortable to hold in hot or cold weather
Oceanbroad Kayak paddle is one of the best kayak paddles of 2022 and provides long-lasting use. Over longer distances, the fiberglass reinforced polypropylene blades provide comfort. As it comes with a variety of length options, this paddle is suitable for most paddlers and boats. In addition to being more comfortable to hold, it will also keep you warm with its polyethylene cover and shrink-wrapped tube cover.
The oar shaft features a shrinking PE tube cover which provides you a better grip and prevents blisters. When you kayak in the winter, your hands will be free of the cold sensation caused by the alloy. It's also detachable in two sections, allowing you to easily transport and store it. You also get a free paddle leash with it. Overall, this best budget paddle provides a solid performance and is a good entry-level paddle.
- Paddle comes with a leash and drip rings to keep the hands dry while paddling
- Every kayak paddle includes a free bungee paddle leash for ultimate comfort
- Paddle has three locking positions to accommodate different kayaking angles
- Drip rings at both ends aid in preventing water from flowing from the blades
Available colors: Black, blue, orange & yellow
Warranty: Contact customer service
- Smooth shafts
- Efficient paddle
- Free leashes
- Strong drip rings
- Blades are not properly sealed
SeaSense Xtreme Kayak Paddle is specially made for beginners and is best for the sport of kayaking. A pair of lightweight plastic blades have been precision molded to assist you in determining the best paddling angle. This is the best kayak paddles for beginners as its most suitable for rough or fast-moving water bodies.
The shaft is made of lightweight aluminum and features ergonomic foam grips for added comfort and strength. This best kayak paddle of 2022 is easy to transport and can be disassembled to fit into a small space.
- Adjustable drip guards and foam rubber grips help to reduce fatigue
- Asymmetrical shapes help disperse the appropriate amount of water
- Lightweight and reinforced blades
Available colors: Black
- More productive
- Durable material
- Comfortable to use
- Easy handling
- Gets hot on hot sunny days, even with foam grips
If you want to get out on the water for a casual paddle, then Pelican Poseidon could be the paddle for you. It is a good choice for the occasional kayaker because it is vibrant, functional, and affordable. Kayak paddles feature aluminum shafts with anti-slip grips and polypropylene blades reinforced with fiberglass. Adjustable blades enhance performance and durability. Low-angle paddling reduces shoulder fatigue and allows you to cover more distance with less effort. Overall, this best budget paddle will result in a more optimized and comfortable paddling experience.
- Retrieve the hook directly through the blade of the rod
- Measure the catch with the measurement tape located along the shaft
- Round right edge transitions to an oval right edge to indicate where to place the hand
- Paddle strokes with pre-curved polypropylene blades
- Push-button system allows for 0/65° angle adjustment
- Paddling with offset blades reduces wind resistance when the top blades move through the air
Available colors: Grey
Warranty: 1 year limited warranty
- Reduce shoulder fatigue
- Easy to transport
- No proper seal on the blades
Wonitago kayak paddle is a popular entry-level paddle, and most novices are already familiar with its high quality. It is built with nylon blades that are corrosion-resistant, preventing wear and cracking. These blades have a streamlined finish that increases stability and power while reducing flutter for easy control. The premium design allows you to paddle comfortably without any special training, making it ideal for beginners.
The fiberglass shaft contributes to the overall lightness of the paddle. It's stiff but flexible enough to maintain better performance and protect the shaft from breaking under extremely powerful strokes. The nylon blades are durable and corrosion-resistant, and the streamlined design adds power and stability to the stroke while reducing paddle flutter. On the whole, this is one of the best budget paddles which provides an excellent balance, performance and value.
- Adjustable design that allows the paddle to divide into two sections for easy placement and transportation
- Device has a fiberglass shaft confidently navigates different currents without it snapping
- Paddle's 3-piece combined design makes it more portable and also separates it into three parts to carry more conveniently
- Quick pin button lock makes it easy to assemble quickly and adjust the paddle to fit perfectly
Available colors: Black, blue, orange & teal
Warranty: Contact customer service
- Breaks down for storage
- Fiberglass blades
- Simple and safe
- Adjustable oars
- Quick pin button lock
- Not lightweight for some paddlers
Carlisle Magic Mystic Kayak Paddle is one of the most user-friendly and efficient beginner kayak paddles on this list. It has a lightweight shaft and polypropylene blades reinforced with glass fibers. This best kayak paddle’s two-piece construction for easy transport and storage. The blades are extremely durable and can withstand obstacles as well as pushing it off when stuck. This best kayak paddle for fishing is available in high visibility colors that provide you with increased visibility for added safety if you're near powerboats.
It is specially designed for beginner to intermediate paddlers who want to spend a few hours on the water. You can disassemble them into two pieces for easy storage and transport, and dual drip rings keep your hands dry. On the whole, this best budget paddler is a good compromise for the paddler who doesn’t want to spend a fortune but also wants a little more performance.
- Push-button takedown creates a feathered effect at 60 degrees for right- or left-handed operation
- Equipped with a "knife" design which is more forgiving when paddling with less-than-ideal technique
- Aluminium shafts are anodized for corrosion resistance
- No-fail push-button ferrule which allows blades to be adjusted at any angle
- Asymmetrical blades are balanced to reduce torque and wrist fatigue
- Slight spooning in the blades captures more water, providing the power required when paddling a typical 10- to 12-foot recreational kayak
- Rubber drip rings to prevent excess water from running down the paddle shaft
Available colors: Ahi, dark cherry, photic, sea glass, sunrise & surf
Warranty: 1 year limited warranty
- Suitable for all types of kayaks
- Good usability
- Straightforward handling
- 3 different lengths for more convenience
- Proper manoeuvrability
- Snap button is a little difficult to press
Comparison Table For Best Kayak Paddles For Fishing
45.51 x 4.49 x 2.36 inches
220cm to 270 cm
Aluminium with fiberglass
54.5 x 8 x 4 inches
210cm to 260cm
47.25 x 9.25 x 2.12 inches
50.5 x 7 x 3.7 inches
210cm to 240cm
Aluminium with fiberglass
54.5 x 7.5 x 4 inches
Fiberglass with nylon
44.5 x 8 x 1 inch
210cm to 250cm
Polypropylene with aluminum
48 x 7.5 x 2.5 inches
220cm to 240cm
Things To Be Considered Before Buying The Best Kayak Paddles For Beginners
When it comes to choosing the best kayak paddle for fishing, the smallest details can make all the difference. Here are a few things you should keep in mind:
When looking for the best paddle, it is critical to get the correct length, as a paddle that is too short, will be difficult to use. The best way to determine the proper length is to multiply your height by 8-12 inches (20-30cm).
Some paddles have symmetrical blades that are simple to use and suitable for beginners. They are ideal for whitewater paddling because they allow for rapid displacement of water. Many paddles have asymmetrical blades, which means that each blade is a different size.
Paddles with feathered blades are more common than paddles with matched blades. When paddling, the feathered blades are offset at an angle to increase wind resistance. To produce the most powerful strokes, matched blades are aligned.
It is critical to select the correct blade for your needs. A large blade is more powerful because it moves more water, but a small blade is more efficient because it is easier to pull through the water. The material from which the blade is made is also important. Fiberglass blades cost less than plastic blades, and nylon blades cost more than plastic blades.
A shaft is the most important part of the paddle, so it should be lightweight and durable. Aluminium-shaft paddles are usually the most affordable, and they're also quite durable. Fiberglass paddle shafts are lightweight and strong, but they are not cheap. Carbon fiber paddle shafts are the lightest and stiffest, but they are also the most expensive. Traditional shafts are round and straight in shape. However, paddles with an oval shape and a bent design have recently gained popularity. These improve comfort and reduce wrist strain.
Fibreglass or carbon fiber are the best materials for a long-lasting paddle. Durability, may not be as important if you are a casual, recreational paddler. On the other hand, if you plan on touring or whitewater kayaking, you should probably prioritize durability.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What paddle weight should I use for upper body strength?
Most paddles on the market weigh between 18 to 40 ounces. Which one is best for you will be determined by your activity and body weight. If you just want to bomb around on the lake at noon, you'll need a different paddle weight than the ones designed for the fast-paced river. When you have more upper body strength, you should be able to get a comfortable weight paddle. Normally, people with more stamina would prefer paddles with more weight behind them.
2. What should the length of my kayak paddle be?
Your kayak paddle's length is determined by your height and arm span. You should aim for a paddle length of 8" to 12" (20cm to 30cm) above your head. A paddle that is between 220 and 240 centimeters in length is ideal for most kayakers in terms of grip and power.
3. What is the best material for kayak paddle beginners?
The best material for your kayak paddle is determined by how you intend to use it. A good endurance paddle will be constructed of a lightweight material such as carbon fiber or fiberglass. Alternatively, an aluminum alloy paddle will be very strong and long-lasting.
4. What kind of paddle blade should I get for my kayak?
The blade on your kayak paddle is usually a matter of personal preference, but as a general rule, a larger paddle is designed for a slower but stronger stroke, and a smaller shape is designed for a faster but weaker stroke.
5. Where should you hold your kayak paddle?
The "power face" is the smooth side of a ribbed blade and the concave side of a curved blade. Make sure the paddle blades' power faces are facing you. Then, while holding your paddle, raise it above your head and rest the shaft on top of your head, forming a right angle at your elbows. This is where you should have a loose grip.
6. How much does the best kayak paddle for beginners cost?
Kayak paddles can range in price from $30 on the low end to $300 on the high end.
A paddle will help you get the most out of your kayaking adventure. Paddles will be your constant companion while kayaking. The ultimate paddle must cover the water, from recreational paddlers in low sit-inside kayaks to kayak anglers in elevated frame seats.
Before you buy a specific model, make sure you spend enough time researching it. These 7 best kayak paddles for beginners in our article are all excellent choices with amazing features. We hope that this article has clarified what you need to think about and given you a better understanding of some excellent options.